Skip to main content

Steel Cut Oats...For Quick and Easy Morning Breakfasts

You can have a hot bowl of home cooked steel Cuts oats every morning of the week if you would like.
It is actually really easy to do.


I do this on a Sunday evening and then for the rest of the week all I have to do is  reheat it in the microwave and add milk and toppings/flavourings of my choice.  This week I made a half batch enough for two or three mornings in the coming week. this recipe can be easily double and altered to meet you tastes and needs.


Sunday Night recipe

Ingredients:
1/2 C Steel Cut  Oats ( or similar multi grain and oats cereal form the bulk food store)
1/4 C Nuts of your choice (walnuts, slivered almonds...)
1-2 Tbls Sunflower Seeds
1 Tbls Ground Flax seed (not pictured here)
1 Tbls Chia seeds
Equipment:
Rice/Vegetable steamer ( I got mine for about 5$ at a thrift shop) 
Measuring Cups and Spoons
Spoon
Storage container

Step One 
Chia seeds on left Flax seed on right

Place all dry ingredients into the bowl of the rice steamer.

Note that all ingredients except the oats are optional.

Step Two


Mix up all Dry ingredients.


Step Three

Add water to the bowl for a 1/2 Cup of oats I use 1 Cup of water.  You may need to alter the amount of water you add,   I use the ratio for rice and  alter it accordingly.   eg.   for rice you would normally use 1 part rice to 2 parts water. and for the cooker you use one part rice 1 and a half parts water

so for the steel cuts oats you would use one part rice 2 -3 parts water.  I find 2 parts water works well.

Step Four


Add water to the base of the steamer and cook for 45 min to an hour it may take a little longer if you are cooking a full cup of oats.

Step Five

This is what you want your oat meal to look like when it is done.  Basically all the water should be absorbed,  a little water is OK,  it is hard to dry this out because the water in the base will be still there and keeping the oatmeal moist so if you cook a little to long it should still be fine.

now place your oatmeal in a container and store in the fridge.

Morning Recipe



Step One


Gather ingredients: Milk/Cream and toppings of your choice.

I like to add fresh fruit, home made chunky apple sauce, a little home made apple butter ( I'll be doing a recipe for this soon) maple syrupy, cinnamon and sugar, whatever you like really.

Step Two

Get the oatmeal out.
This is what it will look like in the container,  it will be one big clump but don't worry.

Step Three

Scoop out the amount you would like, really dont worry about how clumpy it is. (trust me)

Step Four

Break it up a little with your spoon and microwave for 2-4 min  I use the auto reheat button on my microwave.

Step Five

Add milk and stir.

See it is now longer clumpy after adding the milk.

Step Six

Top and enjoy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reusable Cotton Mak-Uup Pads...Tutorial

Make Your Own Cotton Make-Up Removal Pads A Tutorial I have been a a de stashing kick lately and one of the things I have a lot of bits of is cotton yarn.  I recently renovated my Master bathroom and as a result I have been trying to de clutter and one thing I figured I could get ride of is the cotton pads and balls from under the sink (by using them) and replace them with a single set of reusable cotton pads that will a small jar on my counter and in doing so also save me some money by  keeping me form buying more single use cotton pads in the future.  As I was making my little circles I took some photos to share the process with you. Step 1 Create a magic circle and cast on 6 Step 2 Close the Magic Circle Step 3 Chain one, 2 Single Crochet in each Single crochet and slip stich to close Step 4 Chain 2, 2 Double Crochet in each single crochet and slip stitch.     Step 5 With Darning needle sew in the loose ends Step 6 Clip remaining ends Repeat as needed.

New Posts Coming Soon!

It has been a while since I have posted anything new  that does not mean I have not been Crafty  but rather just busy with life.  As the new school year  is started I find myself making resolutions  to organize my family and be more crafty and decided it was time to bring back the blog to keep myself accountable for my crafty plans .To that end I have a new series in the works and I am hoping to have the 1st post up next weekend so stay tuned for exciting things soon. -Erin

Hello Again and the Organizing Challenge

Hello Again Everyone It has been a long time since I have taken the time to share my Craftyness with you.  This is not because I have not been crafty but more because I have gotten busy and probably a little lazy also my place is kinda messy and often I feel some tidying needs to be done before I can take pictures to show and then well .... It just kinda falls by the way side. I have decided I am going to try to ease back into doing more crafting and more blogging, and the way I have decided to do this is by taking part in an organizing challenge on one of my favorite Thrifty blogs,  Mrs January.com . and I will try my best to share my results with you here on my blog. I have decided to share this here as one of the biggest obstacle I have when wanting to be crafty is not having an organized and tidy home, to be crafty in, so my hope is that by the end of June I will have a more pleasant place to be crafty and continue to share my craftiness with you. So who is with me? check o