Skip to main content

Valentines Day Treats: Cookies on a stick

Valentines Cookies on a Stick.

It may not be apparent yet to my readers but I do like making things on a stick and having them in a little bouquet in my living room or by more door for guests to snack on or take home with them at parties.  Yesterday we had some people over so I made some sugar ( and non pictured gingerbread) cookies on a stick to add to a bouquet of chocolate pops (post to come).




Ingredients
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Food Colouring ( I use gel colouring to avoid adding extra moisture) a little goes a long way


Directions
1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until smooth.
2. Beat in eggs and vanilla. 
3. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. then stir into wet ingredients
4. knead dough together, divide into balls and colour as you would like
5. wrap balls with cellow wraps, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).

6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Roll out dough on a powdered sugar surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely

*to put your cookies on a stick I just press the stick into the back of the cookie so that the sides are completely covered and the cookie will lock the stick in place if you try and stick the stick in the bottom of the cookie up through it you will break the shape!
.
 here is my dough after being dyed

I like the marbled look


not the undyed ball I'll show you what I did with that at the end. so keep reading.


 





On this day I had some little helpers to roll and cut out the cookies

you can see in the corner the cookies on the stick waiting to be cooked.








With the leftover dough I rolled it into balls and then with a flat bottomed cup and some icing sugar I flatten the balls.  With these cookies i put them on a cookie sheet in my freezer for an hour or so then placed them in a freezer bag to bake at a later date .  this works with most cookies and is a great way to not only have too many cookies when you first bake them but also for having just a few at a later date with out having to mix up a whole batch,  Just pull out what you want let them sit on the counter for 15 min or so and cook as normal ( I sometimes just use my toaster oven to bake 3 or 4 cookies)


and of course you could make some royal icing and decorate these in any way you would like.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reusable Cotton Mak-Uup Pads...Tutorial

Make Your Own Cotton Make-Up Removal Pads A Tutorial I have been a a de stashing kick lately and one of the things I have a lot of bits of is cotton yarn.  I recently renovated my Master bathroom and as a result I have been trying to de clutter and one thing I figured I could get ride of is the cotton pads and balls from under the sink (by using them) and replace them with a single set of reusable cotton pads that will a small jar on my counter and in doing so also save me some money by  keeping me form buying more single use cotton pads in the future.  As I was making my little circles I took some photos to share the process with you. Step 1 Create a magic circle and cast on 6 Step 2 Close the Magic Circle Step 3 Chain one, 2 Single Crochet in each Single crochet and slip stich to close Step 4 Chain 2, 2 Double Crochet in each single crochet and slip stitch.     Step 5 With Darning needle sew in the loose ends Step 6 Clip remaining ends Repeat as needed.

New Posts Coming Soon!

It has been a while since I have posted anything new  that does not mean I have not been Crafty  but rather just busy with life.  As the new school year  is started I find myself making resolutions  to organize my family and be more crafty and decided it was time to bring back the blog to keep myself accountable for my crafty plans .To that end I have a new series in the works and I am hoping to have the 1st post up next weekend so stay tuned for exciting things soon. -Erin

My favourite diaper bag...

So I was over at  Craft Gossip  before Halloween and saw the cutest little diaper bag made from the babies outgrown overalls and as luck would have it I had a pair sitting at the front door that I loved and was just about to give away so I dragged them down stairs to my machine and pulled up the tutorial over at  Sew and Grow   and shortly their after I had a cute little bag made from a pair of my favourite baby overalls. I love this bag because I attaches to your purse and therefore you only need to throw one bag strap over your shoulder.  it is also great for leaving the little ones at a babysitter, grandma or other spot just unsnap the bag and leave it with them. Finally it can be strapped onto a stroller quickly so you have easy access to the snaks. the only thing I would do different next time and there will be a next time is use a pair of overalls that are not made from a knit fabric that way it will not bulge so much when stuffed full and hold its shape a little better.